Now Hiring: Music Teaching Artist for Yearlong Weekly Residency
Aug 9, 2019
Position: Part-Time Music Teacher for 3rd grade students
Young Audiences of Massachusetts invites you to join our vibrant roster of 13 teaching artists who are part of the weekly Friday Arts residency, developed in partnership with Gardner Pilot Academy in Allston, MA.
Program: Friday Arts, yearlong weekly school arts residency. Friday Arts is an established 12-year residency program at Gardner Pilot Academy during which the entire student body participates in art-making (music, dance, theater, visual arts, storytelling) every Friday morning.
Location: Gardner Pilot Academy, Allston, MA (K-8, Title 1, Boston Public School)
Schedule 8:30 AM - 9:30 AM every Friday morning (35 sessions) between September 6 - June 12 (excluding Boston Public School holidays); plus an artist orientation the morning of September 4.
Job Description: The Friday Arts music teacher will teach one cycle for each of GPA's two 3rd grade classrooms during the school year. One cycle of 17 weeks and one cycle of 18 weeks. We are seeking an experienced music teacher whose curriculum will engage students in general music instruction that includes singing, movement, improvising, music listening as well as basic music theory, working towards a culminating presentation that showcases student learning. All Friday teaching artists work closely with YAMA's Program Director to create a comprehensive classroom experience for students. This opportunity has the potential to be a multi-year position.
- At least two years of experience teaching lower elementary general music in an urban school environment with a diverse student population
- Ability to teach in inclusive classrooms and employ inclusive teaching strategies
- Strong command of responsive classroom management skills
- Previous experience in leading young children singing ensembleAbility to teach diverse repertoire of songs
- Bi-lingual preferred (Spanish)
- Bachelor’s degree at a minimum. Formal music education degree is not required if experience supports qualifications
- Ability to develop weekly lesson plans/curriculum
- Energetic, reliable, independent, and flexible, with good communication skills
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Application Insturctions: Please email a cover letter detailing your interest in this position, along with a Bio and resume showing relevant experience to: Gail Zarren, Young Audiences, Program Director, Expanded Arts Access