CelloBop is a whirlwind 500-year history of the cello – its past, present, and future. Gideon combines excerpts from various periods for the cello repertoire with explanations about its construction and tone. He demonstrates how the conventional acoustic instrument is played, then wows students when he plugs in his futuristic electric cello, showing how it can create an even wider range of sounds and styles. CelloBop includes classical, blues, swing, jazz, rock, bluegrass, and spontaneously improvised music.
Pre-K – 12
Sound Science is an energetic and enlightening examination of where art and science intersect. Demonstrating the tonal qualities of both the acoustic and electric cellos, Gideon explains the mathematical aspects of music such as how music is divided into beats, measures and phrases, and acoustic qualities including sound vibrations, pitch, and timbre. Using the electric cello and real-time digital effects, he shows how notes can be echoed, repeated, distorted, and augmented in many exciting and unexpected ways.
Performance Length: 45-60 minutes
Audience Limit: 250
Target Grades 2- 12
Master Class for String Players
Gideon Freudmann leads string players (violin, viola, cello, and bass) through a series of musical exercises and games in this non-traditional approach to making music.
Master Class Length: 45-60 minutes
Participants: 20 students
Price: $125 per master class
Single: $588 Double: $941 Triple: $1,235 Quad: $1,470
Travel Fee: $50 per day
Note: pricing may vary for weekend/out-of-school time
– Music used on radio shows: All Things Considered, Car Talk, This American Life, Dr Demento
– Music used on TV shows: Weeds, Good Morning America
– Featured at Montreal International Jazz Festival, Jazz Festival of Prague, and New Directions Cello Festival
– Composed Soundtracks for several Silent Films and in the documentary, Buck
– Composed Sountrack for award winning short film, Denmark
– Performed throughout US, Canada and in Czech Republic, Australia and Taiwan
– Wrote Tunebook for Cello and composed several String Ensembles
– Held artist-in-residencies at universities throughout the US
– Interviewed on NPR’s Weekend Edition
“Taking a modern artist’s approach to the four-stringed instrument, Gideon Freudmann has brought the cello to a new realm. His latest album is a dreamy cinematic tour-de-force!” – The Boston Globe
“Gideon Freudmann is a talented, experimental cellist that got the ear of producers from NPR’s All Thing’s Considered. There is sense of humor, a spirit of eclectic adventure and mastery of classic and jazz forms in these pieces. This fusion of talent and experiment makes for a peerless and unforgettable collection of gems.
– Perfect Sound Forever
“Sharp, witty, prolific, talented” -Maine Public Radio
Limited engagement. May 2-5, 2017 only.