MA Arts Curriculum Frameworks Revised
Jul 8, 2019
On June 25, with the public comment period concluded, a revision to the Massachusetts frameworks for arts education were officially submitted for approval by the Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE). This represents the first revision since 1999.
- addition of the discipline of media arts to the existing disciplines of dance, music, theatre, and visual arts
- increased emphasis on the importance of creating original work in the performing arts and on presenting in visual and media arts
- increased emphasis on responding to the work of other students and work from masters, with a focus on understanding the context in which art works were created
- alignment to a consistent structure organized around a common set of artistic practices across the five disciplines to encourage integrated instruction and collaboration
- ambitious standards that highlight the importance of the arts as part of a well-rounded education that prepares students for college, careers, and civic participation.
A memo released by BESE includes:
- links to a detailed summary of feedback received during public comment,
- the revised draft of the 2019 Massachusetts Arts Curriculum Framework,
- a PowerPoint File Review of the Massachusetts Arts Curriculum Framework,
- an infographic articulating important changes,
- a motion to adopt the 2019 Massachusetts Arts Curriculum Framework.