Samba Drumming Residency
Students will learn about the exciting music of Brazilian drumming in this interactive workshop. They will gain hands-on experience with samba – the music of Bahia and Carnival. Brazilian drumming concepts such as polyrhythm, the importance of community in a drumming percussion ensmble and the role of music in everyday life are explored. The culminating event is a concert performed by all of the students participating in the residency!
Samba Drumming can also be offered as a post-performance workshop.
Virtual adapation available live online via your school's remote learning platform in three formats:
- In-person learners with access to drums can access live virtual lessons from their music classroom
- At-home learners or classrooms without samba drums can follow Marcus's instruction to make duct-tape bucket drums
- Students can learn to play Samba rythmns without insruments using body percussion.
Participant Limit: 15
Curriculum Connection: Music, Percussion, Brazilian Music, Brazilian Culture, Street/Festival Music
Single Online Workshop: $200
In-Person or Online Residency
- Must schedule at least three workshops in one day.
- Minimum of 5 workshops/group for residency with culminating student performance
- Single workshops/group available without culminating performance.
- Planning Fee based upon scope of residency
(In-person) Travel fee: $75/day
Processing fee of $30 added to all contracts
Virtual (live online): School sets up link for remote meeting and makes the artist a co-host. Screen share must be enabled, however please turn off ‘annotation’ feature. Artist may need to sign on 20-30 minutes prior to the meeting to check sound levels. A representative from the school must be on the call and mute students as needed. Please introduce the performer as a Young Audiences of Massachusetts artist.
- 1 reserved parking space
- At least one adult in the room for support