The Tabla: Talking Drum from Northern India
A Guggenheim Fellow, Grammy-winning percussionist and member of Yo Yo Ma's Silk Road Enemble, Sandeep Das is a world-class master of the Tabla, a versatile hand-drum central to Northern Indian classical music, whose many voices have found their way into musical genres from Indian folk to American pop. Schools can host Das for a multi-day customizable residency composed of performances, lectures, masterclasses, and workshops.
Highlights of a Sandeep Das residency include:
- a high-energy musical collaboration and storytelling experience
- exposure to classical and world music
- practice in playing poly rhythms
- understanding cross-cultural communication through music and performance
- experiencing a centuries-old Indian tradition of orally learning and reciting complex compositions
- the opportunity to perform with a Grammy-winner and memeber of Yo Yo Ma's Silk Road Ensemble
Participant Limit: 300 (performance) 50 (workshop or master class)
Curriculum Connection: Indian Music, Culture, Rhythms/Math
Tabla Solo: 45 minute presentation.
Single Show: $895
Back-To-Back Shows: $1,520
Masterclass/workshop: $500/class for up to 50 participants meeting a minimum of 3 times
Student performance with the artist: $1000
Travel Fee: based upon mileage
Note: pricing may vary for weekend/out-of-school time
Processing Fee of $30 added to all contracts
1 Microphone connected to sound system
Stage or raised platform at least 5” x 5” with rug or mat to sit on (image)
If 40 students or less, have students sit at floor level with performer.
Special Instructions: Please distribute and review educational materials with students in advance of the performance.
Arrival time before first performance: 30 minutes
Strike time: 10 minutes
Time needed between performances: 15 minutes
Teachers are expected to model appropriate audience behavior for students.
Please introduce the performer as a Young Audiences of Massachusetts artist.